Monday, May 2, 2011

Restaurant Review :: Common Roots

This weekend was jam packed with Pet Project Rescue events.  Sunday I went to Urbanimal in Uptown to show off my foster kitty, Storm, and cuddle with some other cutie puppies and kitties who need to find homes.  My foster was adopted by a wonderful family, but it was still a bit of a heartbreaker for me!  My friends met up with me afterwards at Common Roots on Lyndale.  I'd never been there before so I was expecting some warm beverages and maybe a scone or something....I was NOT expecting the plethora of delicious foods they had waiting for me!

First of all, the menu totally rocks.  They have everything from bison tacos to pizzas to soups to desserts.  And after a brief convo with one of the workers, I learned that everything in the entire cafe is made from scratch.  (I tried to get a cookie recipe but was totally denied.)  And after checking out their website, I learned that they rely on local farmers for their produce and use all organic and naturally grown ingredients.  It doesn't get much better than that.

I was starving after a long afternoon so I ordered the Wild Rice Burger.  All I have to say is WOW.  I've had some wild rice burgers in the past but nothing compares to the one at Common Roots.  The wild rice was perfectly cooked and formed into a patty that was dripping with melty cheese.  The burger is served with arugula and an aioli.  The inside of the poppy-seed topped roll is grilled to add a bit of a crunch.  And the burger is served with a side of greens topped with a homemade vinaigrette.  Holy cats this was to die for.  My friend Tasha tried one bite of my burger and she was off to order her own! 


My other friend Rachel tried their soft pretzels.  Mmmmmmm so tasty.  They were hot, chewy, and salty.  The peppery cheese on the side added a welcome kick to these salty morsels.  The pretzels are also on their happy hour menu (yup, they serve beers!). 


But the highlight of our meal?  The chocolate cookies.  O.M.G.  We ordered one to share and it simply was not enough.  It was a chewy, almost brownie-like cookie with chunks of white chocolate and maybe dark chocolate.  The outer edge of the cookie had a bit of substance...almost a crunch...and the inside was just melt-in-your-mouth amazing.  I went back up to the counter and ordered two more.  They were devoured. 


I had no idea that I was missing out on such a wonderful cafe.  The food is amazing and I loved the coffee-shop atmosphere.  I cannot wait to come back for happy hours and for their fab sounding brunch!

Common Roots Cafe Reviews in Minneapolis

No comments:

Post a Comment